"The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God!" -Fyodor Dostoevsky

Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year, New Who?

Hi, it's me again. I am surprised I have kept up with this blog for as long as I have, so hopefully it will continue to be a thing I do. I really enjoy writing on this platform, and it's pretty neat being able to say whatever the Zeus I want! :)

So at a meeting this past week, I was asked a question that I knew the answer to instantly. "Would you rather have beauty, self-knowledge, power, or true love? Okay, so I am a romantic if you didn't know. I adore romance novels and stories. Over the past few years, I've accumulated enough silly love stories in my brain to achieve a PhD in the subject. This is a rough attempt at a joke... But I really do like love, the driving force of the world. Why would it be the main message of literally every song on the planet? Why would it be a part of every book I've ever read, big or small? Love may be the most overused word in the English language, but I think that it is the most important. Love is awesome. Now I've gone off on a tirade about hearts and butterflies and rainbows, but love isn't any of those things. It is placing someone's needs above your own, caring about another without excess.

So, to answer the question above, I immediately said to my group, "True love." Beauty is fleeting, we've all heard that; self-knowledge is something to be discovered over one's life; and power destroys from inside. I've always dreamt of my future--with family attached. That instant connection, maybe; or perhaps I'll fall for someone over time. I've always liked to think my future husband is out there, hopefully not doing LSD or driving drunk, but he's out there. That is enough for me.

However, true love is not just with a significant other. There's familial love, too. My sister is the most important person in my life, and I'd do anything for her. I cannot go a day without hearing her voice. Now this doesn't mean we don't fight and/or attack each other, but we have a bond no one else can understand. You, dear reader, have these bonds too. Think of yourself as a random element (chemistry, haha) that has a special attraction to another element. We come together as random pieces to form a giant masterpiece.

My parents are just as important to me. They raised me, and I mean, I came out of my mama's womb (hello, the woman deserves a trophy) and I've always been a homebody. My family would do anything for me, and I know I am very fortunate to have those who care. We must be more appreciative of whom we have in our lives, even those we want to smack, and those we want to like us.

Here's a sad thought: We're dying by the minute. Not to get too melancholy, but this is heavy. I'm not saying this excuses every mistake we make, but it does show that we need to live. Whole-heartedly. Instead of stressing out about every single thing on our duty list, we need to be reminded that we only get one shot on this planet. Live. Have fun. Find your true love, whether it's a man, a woman, or sleep. (Another attempt at a cheap joke.)

Please, please, do not think I am saying that doing anything you want is acceptable. It isn't. However, my resolution of 2015 (which I didn't think of until this very moment) is to be okay with myself. So what if I make a mistake, fall down the stairs twenty-seven times, or mess up when standing up in front of an audience. Here's to the memories we'll make this year, you and I both. Our journeys may coincide, and they may not. But that is okay: Live.

To wrap this up, make this year about your feelings. Speak up, put on your armor, and feel happy to be you. There will always be people who judge you, and people who want to be your friend. It is up to you to live your life in the way you choose to do so. And don't get caught up in appearances, my friend. Love is blindness. Here is an excellent short film I found on YouTube by California-based director Jonah Feingold. Enjoy, and when you're done, come back to this article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tco0Heuv0io

Be yourself this year. Go out, have some fun, and be thankful for the time you're allotted. I will work on my inner spirit and try to search for my true love. But we're all in this together, on our awesome home planet called Earth.

--A Constant Improvement aka K

Our entire universe is right here. Everything we do, everyone we love, every single moment we have. (Unless you're a super awesome astronaut.) Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment